Located in Surrey, BC and serving the Greater Vancouver and Fraser regions, the Phoenix Society is dedicated to social innovation and community initiatives that help participants exit the cycle of addiction and homelessness. Our integrated services model provides:
- early-recovery residential addiction services
- employment and educational assistance
- longer-term post-treatment transitional housing
- home-ownership opportunities
Mission statement: The Phoenix Society is a multi-service agency dedicated to providing accessible services and opportunities to people who face barriers related to addiction, mental health, housing, education, criminal justice involvement and/or employment.
All staff are expected to work as part of a team, actively seek out professional development opportunities and share knowledge. This includes attending staff meetings, participating in online and in house training and mentoring junior staff.
KEY WORK RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting to the Kitchen Manager, this position is responsible for tasks that focus on the day to day activities in the kitchen. The Cook oversees all areas of food production including waste control, standards and kitchen sanitation. Position assists in ensuring client satisfaction is achieved while maintaining the operating standards.
- Overall production, preparation, presentation of food items
- Cooking for a group of 60 or more
- Preparing special diet meals as needed
- Preparing foods from scratch using recipes
- Following menu as prepared by the Kitchen Manager
- Active participation in client training within kitchen environment
- Be supportive of creativity and innovation, and maintain a high level of professionalism and quality service
- Following kitchen policies, procedures and service standards
- Adhering to licensing requirements
- Opening and Closing duties
- Perform other duties as assigned
This is a full time position working Sunday to Thursday 10:00am to 6:30pm including an unpaid half hour meal break. Must be able to work flexible hours including week days, weekends and holidays.
- Required to move, lift, carry, pull and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without assistance
- Stand, sit or walk for an extended period of time or for an entire shift
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting and pulling
- Move over slippery surfaces
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Must have technical or culinary school training
- Must have a minimum of 1 year cook experience in a high volume restaurant
- Must have excellent organizational skills
- Team player and a self-starter, able to work independently and effectively as required
- Ability to work effectively in an innovative and multi-tasked environment
- Food Safe Level One
- Criminal Record Check
- Current First Aid
- Current TB Test
Please submit your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line 191003_cook. Post will remain up until filled. Only those candidates shortlisted for interview will be contacted.
Must be eligible to work in Canada.