This is a 6 month temporary position. Renewal of the position is dependent on funding.
This position is required to work in an integrated addiction services facility for adult men and women aged 19 years of age and older. The Phoenix Centre provides 43 addiction services beds for men, 18 addiction services beds for women, 64 units of transitional housing for both male and female, co-located services, and an education and training centre. This full time position works in collaboration with all counsellors. This position will fill in for people on vacation or sick days, co-facilitate groups with counsellors, carry a caseload of residents and provide one on one counselling as needed. The ability to function independently while managing multiple client needs and quality assurance tasks is an ongoing expectation of this position. Direct program activities may require a moderate level of physical fitness to effectively carry out the duties of the position. This is a daytime position with hours of work from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM with an hour long unpaid lunch breaks working Monday to Friday.
KEY WORK RESPONSIBILITIES
The outline of the Full Time Addiction Counsellor reflects the standards that must be maintained as per Adult Care Regulations. This position will work with our male and female residents in all programs.
- Participates in team efforts to maintain and continuously improve the intake, admissions and orientation process.
- Conducts integrated addiction services assessment interviews, acts to ensure resident’s privacy and preserves the confidentiality of client’s personal information.
- Assesses strengths and challenges and outlines services provided by Phoenix Centre programs. Assesses clients’ suitability for the program and makes referrals to other agencies when necessary.
- Orients resident to the program.
- Educates client regarding recovery maintenance, relapse prevention and life management, identifies and prioritizes life area needs.
- Maintains accurate client records (assessment data, client care plan, goal setting, case notes and discharge summaries, behavior contracts, incident reports, medication logs) reports, statistics on residents required for billing reports required by supervisory position.
- Ensures that all required documentation is complete and on time. .
- Works with residents and integrated addiction services team to develop care and action plans (recovery, health, housing, education, employment, etc.) recovery maintenance plans, relapse prevention plans.
- Assists residents in identifying high risk situations and in establishing strategies to avoid relapse or to get back on track quickly if relapse occurs.
- Facilitates coordination with other on site services (employment, housing, education, work experience). Monitors client’s progress and modifies plans.
Academic: A minimum of a certificate in Substance Abuse Counselling and three years relevant work experience is required. An acceptable equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered. If relevant a minimum of three year’s sobriety is required.
Social Services Field: Preference will be given to those with experience in addiction services and/or social services, preferably within a community setting, with demonstration of sensitivity to the issues of people affected by substance misuse, concurrent disorders and homelessness.
Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com by Jan 15, 2019. Only people selected for interview will be contacted.